What's New in FileMaker Pro 13
FileMaker Pro 13 is the newest version of the leading easy-to-use database. FileMaker Pro 13 delivers all this and more:
- New design features make it faster and easier to consistently create great-looking databases.
- New features for iOS make it faster to create solutions and easier to enter data on iPad and iPhone.
- New development features help you create more useful solutions more efficiently than ever.
- New security features ensure your organisation's data is more protected.
Combine the power of a desktop application with the simplicity of a web browser to manage and share your business information.
Available in FileMaker Server 13, FileMaker WebDirect is breakthrough web technology that runs custom business solutions directly in a web browser on a desktop or laptop – with no web development skills required.
New design features make it faster and easier to consistently create great-looking databases.
- Custom themes – Customise existing themes then save and reuse them across multiple layouts. This makes it easy to give all your databases a consistent look and feel. Plus, FileMaker Pro 13 also comes with even more ready-to-use themes.
- Styles – Themes now include styles, which are sets of attributes like colours, fonts and text sizes. Apply styles to objects, such as buttons, fields, and backgrounds. Create your own styles or customise existing styles, then save and reuse them across multiple layouts and objects. Modify a style once, and it changes everywhere.
- Undo after save - Undo changes in Layout mode, even after saving your layout and viewing it in Browse mode.
- Redesigned Starter Solutions – Take design cues from the entirely redesigned Starter Solutions for Contacts, Assets, Content Management and Invoices. Their fresh, new look takes advantage of new features in the FileMaker 13, including bar code scanning, popovers and slide controls. View Starter Solutions
- More Inspector design attributes - Control additional design attributes of objects using the expanded Inspector palette. Now you have control of these elements and more:
- Inner/outer shadows
- Text baselines
- Layout backgrounds, including support for full-screen backgrounds, colours and gradients
- Field Picker – Create new fields or drag and drop multiple fields onto the form directly from Layout mode for more convenient control of field and label placements.
- Getting Started tour - Learn more about how to get started designing great-looking databases in new FileMaker Pro 13.
- Control object visibility – Build more dynamic layouts with objects, such as fields, buttons or tab controls that can appear or disappear from your layout based on the results of a calculation.
New features for iOS make it faster to create solutions and easier to enter data on iPad and iPhone.
- Redesigned Layout/Report Assistant - Create layouts and reports that are optimised for different devices. Choose from a variety of iPad and iPhone sizes and your layout will be automatically sized and themed to suit your selection.
- Slide control - Similar to a tab control, the new slide control lets you add multiple sliding panels to your forms to create swappable regions of content. Great for making the most use of valuable screen space on iPad and iPhone.
- Swipe gestures – Use swipe gestures to navigate faster on iPad and iPhone. Use a one-finger swipe gesture to change panels in a slide control and a two-finger swipe gesture to change records.
- Popovers – Add iOS-style popovers to your layouts to group fields, add links and display other details. Popovers also provide useful choices for navigating to new areas of the solution without opening multiple windows.
- iOS keyboard types – Make data entry faster and easier with new keyboards types. Keyboards appear based on each field type or as you specify in FileMaker Pro. New keyboard types include: ASCII, URL, email, numeric 10-key, numeric keypad, number and punctuation, and phone number.
- Bar code scanning – Add bar code scanning to your FileMaker solutions running on iPad and iPhone – without requiring additional plug-ins. Supports UPC codes, QR codes and many more bar code formats.
iOS script steps, Script Triggers and functions designed specifically for the iPad and iPhone
- Insert from Device - In FileMaker Go, this script step controls what gets entered into a container field choosing from the following sources: music library, photo library, camera, video camera, microphone, or signature.
- On Layout Size Change - In FileMaker Go, this triggers a script to run after an iPad or iPhone has been rotated. This is especially useful to automatically switch between portrait and landscape layouts.
- On Gesture Tap – In FileMaker Go, this triggers a script to run when a tap gesture is received on a layout in FileMaker Go. Use with the Get Trigger Gesture Info function to return details about the gesture that activated an On Gesture Tap trigger.
- Get Network Type - In FileMaker Go, this function returns a number indicating the type of network being used to access the current file, local, unknown, cellular or Wi-Fi.
New development features help you make more useful solutions more efficiently than ever before.
New layout enhancements
- Container field enhancements – Automatically get metadata from items stored in container fields using the Get Container Attribute function. More than 40 attributes can be returned based on the item stored in the container field, including filename, file size, make, model, artist, album, genre, composer, height, width, latitude, longitude, date created, date modified, and bar codes.
Learn more about what’s new in container fields
- Calculated tab control titles and dialog button titles – Use the power of the calculation engine to specify the title of your tabs and custom dialog buttons.
- Dynamic Locale Formatting – Format dates, times, and numbers based on the system settings on the computer running the solution to make it easier to create solutions that will work in multiple geographic regions.
More script steps and Script Triggers
- HTTP Post – Use with the "Insert from URL" or "Import Records: XML Data Source" commands. It is very useful when uploading files or submitting a completed web form.
- Perform script on server – This triggers a script to be performed on the server that is hosting the current file.
- Upload to FileMaker Server – This script step opens the Upload to FileMaker Server dialog box to allow a file to be uploaded from FileMaker Pro to FileMaker Server.
- Refresh object – This script step updates the content, conditional formatting, and visibility state for the specified object.
More functions and calculations
- Get Device – Returns a number indicating the type of computer that is currently running FileMaker Pro or FileMaker WebDirect, or the type of iOS device that is currently running FileMaker Go.
- "List of" summary field type – Shows a list of all the values for a field in the found set. For example, you can use it to return a list of all the record IDs of your found set.
- Get Modified Fields - Returns a list of fields that have been modified in the current record of the current table.
- Get Script Animation State - Indicates whether or not animations are enabled for the current script.
- Get Window Orientation – Returns a value indicating the orientation of the window on which the script is acting (not necessarily the foreground window).
- Get Connection Attribute - Returns a value indicating whether the FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Go connection to the host uses SSL, including whether the server name matches the server-side certificate.
- Base 64 Code/Decode – Encodes or decodes a container field into a text-based binary format for interchange purposes.
- Get Layout Object Attribute – Returns a value indicating whether an object is hidden from the current layout.
- Get Current Time UTC Millisecond - Returns the current time without time zone adjustments in the form of the number of milliseconds since 1/1/0001. UTC time zone adjustments must be applied to get your local time.
New security features ensure your data is more protected
- Data encryption - In addition to data being encrypted while it’s moving over a network or the web, your data is now also encrypted on any FileMaker client. AES 256-bit encryption ensures that the security of your data is protected even if the file gets out of your control.
- Get encryption state function - Returns a value representing the file’s current encryption state. This function works in FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Go.
- Encryption state indicator – Displays the encryption state for files hosted with FileMaker Server. A lock icon appears to indicate when connections to the server are encrypted and turns green if the connection is using a trusted security certificate.
Enabling data encryption requires FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced.
In addition to all the new features added to FileMaker Pro 13 some features have been removed or deprecated in favour of new technologies. Please visit the Knowledge Base for a list of these features.