360Works Releases ScriptMaster 2.0 at FileMaker Developer ConferenceComplimentary FileMaker development tool simplifies use of Java code
PHOENIX, AZ. – July 14, 2008-- 360Works, a leading FileMaker product developer, is releasing a new version of its ScriptMaster tool at the 2008 FileMaker Developers Conference in Phoenix, AZ later this month. A completely free, modular plugin for FileMaker, ScriptMaster allows developers to use Java code even without Java expertise. Version 2.0 includes modules for file manipulation, URL downloads, XML Web Services, encoding / encryption, FileMaker script triggering, shell scripting, audio and video, email sending, and much more. FileMaker developers can also extend ScriptMaster functionality by writing their own Java modules.
ScriptMaster 2.0 adds a new function registration feature allowing developers to use ScriptMaster modules just like regular FileMaker custom functions. Using a module from the ScriptMaster.fp7 library requires checking a 'register this function' box. Thereafter, the ScriptMaster module appears in the FileMaker external functions list just like a FileMaker Pro custom function. Unlike custom functions, ScriptMaster functions are available in every FileMaker file, eliminating the need to copy and paste between files.
"The ScriptMaster 2.0 plug-in is awesome,” said SolutionMakers, Inc. developer Angelo Luchi. SolutionMakers, Inc., are the developers of the 123sync QuickBooks integration “in as little as an hour” application.
“It is so much faster than its predecessor. Plus I love the new register function," he added.
FileMaker developer Jennifer Shook works in house for American Classifieds in Kansas City, MO. She shares her FileMaker development work with other American Classifieds who are still doing their record keeping by hand, and cutting and pasting their papers up on layout boards. Shook recently downloaded ScriptMaster for the first time.
“Are you sure this valuable plug in is free to deploy with my program?” she asked. “I feel like I am stealing something. This is coming from a girl that is happy to pay for her mp3s.”
In addition to the plugin registration feature, there are numerous other improvements in ScriptMaster 2.0:
- Speed - ScriptMaster was fast before, but because registering a module pre-compiles it, script speed execution is orders of magnitude faster. For example, the UUID function for generating unique serial numbers has increased from 25 UUIDs per second to approximately 1,000 UUIDs per second.
- No installation required - The ScriptMaster.fp7 database uses the auto-update feature of FileMaker Server to download the plugin from your FileMaker Server to each user's desktop.
- Easy SOAP access - ScriptMaster.fp7 now includes Java Web Service libraries, for easy SOAP Web Service access from developers’ ScriptMaster modules.
- Java code editing support - Developers writing Java modules have better support for editing Java code within the ScriptMaster.fp7 database, including syntax error highlighting, allowing tab characters, better error reporting, plus links to Groovy and Java documentation.
Several new modules that ship with ScriptMaster 2.0 include:
- Formatted dialog module allows the display of dialogs with formatted HTML content in the FileMaker solution.
- BASE64 encoding and decoding modules for interacting with web services.
- Gradient drawing module dynamically generates smooth gradient containers perfect for use in layouts with user-specified color preferences.
- FedEx module uses SOAP web services to get shipping rates from FedEx.
- Popup menu demonstrates how to draw a popup menu anywhere on the FileMaker user interface in response to a mouse click.
- Encryption/decryption with the DES-128 algorithm and MD5 hashing modules to store credit cards, social security numbers, passwords, and other sensitive information in a FileMaker database.
ScriptMaster is a Universal Binary plugin that will run at full native speed on OS X Intel, OS X PowerPC, and Windows. It will also run in the Web Publishing Engine and on FileMaker Server, so you can use it with IWP, custom web publishing, and server scripts scheduled with FileMaker Server 9.Pricing and availability
ScriptMaster 2.0 is free for developers to use and distribute with client solutions. 360Works offers ScriptMaster as a way to introduce their complete line of FileMaker plugins and developer tools at http://www.360works.com/products, and funds continuing ScriptMaster development by creating custom modules for sale. FileMaker developers that use ScriptMaster are invited to contribute requests and suggestions for its ongoing enhancement. View a complete list of modules and download ScriptMaster from http://www.360works.com/scriptmaster
Atlanta-based 360Works, a FileMaker Platinum Business Alliance member, has been providing FileMaker-based solutions for more than a decade. The company is a leading developer of both shrink-wrapped and custom FileMaker database design solutions for clients such as NASA, Bernard Hodes Group, US Marines, Make-A-Wish foundation and others. The company is credited for its forward-thinking solutions, dedication and unparalleled client service. For more information about 360Works, contact plugins@360Works.com or (770) 234-9293.Media Contact:
About FileMaker, Inc.
FileMaker is the leader in easy-to-use database software. Millions of people, from individuals to some of the world's largest companies, rely on FileMaker software to manage, analyze and share vital information. The company’s products are the FileMaker Pro line – versatile database software for teams and organizations, for Windows, Mac and the Web – and Bento, the personal database for Mac, iPhone and iPod touch. FileMaker, Inc. is a subsidiary of Apple.Customer contact:
Copyright © 2009 FileMaker, Inc. All rights reserved. FileMaker and Bento are trademarks of FileMaker, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.