.com Solutions Inc. Releases FmPro Migrator Developer Edition 5.23 with Microsoft Access to FileMaker Pro Migration Feature at 2009 FileMaker Developer Conference
San Francisco, CA., August 13, 2009 - .com Solutions Inc. Releases FmPro Migrator Developer Edition 5.23 with Microsoft® Access® to FileMaker® Pro Migration Feature at FileMaker DevCon2009
Using FmPro Migrator Developer Edition, FileMaker Pro developers can automate the conversion of Microsoft Access Forms/Reports, Relationships, Value Lists, Queries and Visual Basic code to FileMaker Pro database solutions. This new Access to FmPro Migration feature can easily save hundreds of hours of development effort in a typical Access to FileMaker Pro conversion project.
FmPro Migrator Developer Edition can re-create hundreds of Access Forms or Reports as new FileMaker Pro layouts in a matter of seconds. FmPro Migrator Developer Edition uses QuicKeys(Mac OS X)/WinAutomation(Windows) to copy the newly generated layouts into a FileMaker Pro database file at a rate of approximately 200 layouts per hour.
Features of the Access to FmPro Migration service include:
- Up-size Access Databases to FileMaker Pro - Access databases can be migrated to FileMaker Pro 10 in order to take advantage of FileMaker Pro's legendary ease of use and increased data management capacity. Migrated Access databases can now grow to the maximum 8TB file size offered by FileMaker Pro 10 and can be run on Mac OS X and Windows.
- Fixed Price - You know up front what the cost will be to convert the structure and data within any Microsoft Access database into a cross-platform FileMaker Pro database soluton.
- Offshoring to Your Desktop - Since the Access to FmPro Migration feature is built into FmPro Migrator Developer Edition, proprietary database information and source code never leaves your desktop. Purchasing a license key for the Access to FmPro feature enables its use for an unlimited number of Access database files for the quantity of Forms/Reports to be processed per file, for the duration of the key. Furthermore, each database is converted more economically, quickly and in a much more repeatable manner than could be done manually.
- Microsoft Access 97, 2000, 2003 and 2007 File Formats - The migration process uses the AccessDDRExport utility to extract information from within Access 97 - Access 2007 mdb/accdb database files. The AccessDDRExport conversion utility is an Access 2000/mde 2007/accde database file supplied with FmPro Migrator Developer Edition.
- Visual Basic Code Conversion - Each Visual Basic Subroutine or Function is converted into a FileMaker script documented with the name of the original code module, and global variables, followed by the commented text of the Subroutine or Function. FmPro Migrator uses the clipboard script handling features included with FileMaker Pro 10 to batch copy all of the converted scripts into the FileMaker Pro scripts window.
- Radio Button/Checkbox Group Conversion - Microsoft Access radio button/checkbox groups consist of multiple objects within an acOptionGroup object. Objects which make up the group button are related to each other in a hierarchical parent/child relationship manner, which enables FmPro Migrator Developer Edition to traverse the object relationships and extract the data values and labels. For a group of 3 radio buttons, the 7 objects contained within the acOptionGroup radio button group are converted into 2 objects (field and label) and a value list assigned to the field on the FileMaker Pro layout. The size and rectangular shape of the converted FileMaker field corresponds to the coordinates of the original group button object rectangle. All generated value lists are de-duped and created as individual value lists. The correct value list is automatically assigned to the field on the layout, and the field is configured to display as either a group of radio buttons or checkboxes based upon its definition on the original Access Form.
- Custom Value Lists - Access database fields can be configured with lists of text based Row Source values, which serve the same purpose as FileMaker Value Lists. Access databases do not contain a centralized storage location for these Row Source values. These lists of values are scattered throughout the Forms/Reports of the entire database file. FmPro Migrator analyzes and removes duplicates prior to creating new Value Lists for the FileMaker database file. Therefore if a file contains dozens or even hundreds of Row Source value definitions, they will be consolidated down into a much smaller number of unique Value Lists within the FileMaker Pro database.
- Embedded Form/Report Images - Embedded Form/Report graphic images from Access acImage objects are placed onto each FileMaker layout in the same size and location as the original image.
- Rectangle and Line Objects - Rectangle objects can be used as Form/Report backgrounds within Access. Filled and unfilled rectangles are converted, as well as the border properties.
- Relationship Conversion - Relationships are retrieved from the Access .mdb/.accdb database file when the tables and fields are gathered during the initial drag & drop processing of the file. Access relationships are converted into FileMaker Pro relationships during the conversion process.
- Each relationship is then built in an automated manner using QuicKeys(Mac OS X) shortcuts or WinAutomation(Windows) jobs. Being able to see the relationships at a glance on the FileMaker RelationshipGraph makes it easier to understand and utilize the structure of the original database.
- TAB Control & Enclosed Objects - Access Tab Panel objects are converted into FileMaker Pro Tab Controls, including the objects embedded within each tab of the control. Each type of object which is converted for the main section of the Form/Report is supported for conversion within each tab of a Tab Control.
- Queries Converted to FileMaker Scripts and TOs - Each Microsoft Access query is converted into a Table Occurrence on the FileMaker RelationshipGraph. Layouts and Fields on Layouts will immediately display the data referenced within the base table specified in each of the TOs. Access queries are also converted into FileMaker scripts which use the DoSQL plug-in from myFMButler/SHPartners. These scripts are pasted directly into the FileMaker Manage Scripts window, along with all of the converted Visual Basic code.
Existing FmPro Migrator Developer Edition customers can upgrade to FmPro Migrator Developer Edition 5.23 at no charge. The single-user licensing includes a copy of FmPro Migrator for both Mac OS X (Universal Binary) and Windows platforms.
For more info please see:
About .com Solutions Inc.
.com Solutions Inc. develops multi-platform graphical applications and services supporting FileMaker Pro, Bento, SQLite, Oracle, MySQL, Access, SQL Server, Sybase, DB2, OpenBase, PostgreSQL, FrontBase, Valentina, and Revolution developers. FmPro Script Diff, compares and edits FileMaker Pro scripts. FmPro Migrator ( www.fmpromigrator.com ) converts FileMaker Pro databases to and from FileMaker Pro, SQLite Diff ( www.sqlitediff.com) compares SQLite database schema and data.
About FileMaker, Inc.
FileMaker is the leader in easy-to-use database software. Millions of people, from individuals to some of the world's largest companies, rely on FileMaker software to manage, analyze and share vital information. The company’s products are the FileMaker Pro line – versatile database software for teams and organizations, for Windows, Mac and the Web – and Bento, the personal database for Mac, iPhone and iPod touch. FileMaker, Inc. is a subsidiary of Apple.Customer contact:
Copyright © 2009 FileMaker, Inc. All rights reserved. FileMaker and Bento are trademarks of FileMaker, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.