Validate your FileMaker expertise with an official credential
Demonstrate your FileMaker capabilities
This credential demonstrates to clients, peers and management that you have achieved an essential level of knowledge, experience, and skills in developing on the FileMaker Platform.
Whether you’re an independent consultant or an in-house developer, FileMaker Certification allows you to:
- Expand your skill set and become a more well-rounded developer.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest FileMaker technologies.
- Gain a competitive edge over other developers.
- Invest in your career and increase your earning potential.
- Add credibility to your organization.
- Use the FileMaker Certification logo on your website and business cards.
- Receive a preferred listing on the FileMaker website (partners only).
Prepare for the Exam
Hands-on experience with the FileMaker Platform can increase your chances of passing the exam. We recommend at least 6 months of development experience with the FileMaker Platform before attempting the exam.
Product Technical Specifications
- Describe the product technical specifications for the FileMaker 15 Platform.
Defining Database Schema
- Describe and apply auto-entry options.
- Identify the mechanisms and behaviors of validation options and describe the possible outcomes when one is triggered.
- Use a storage option to achieve a desired result.
- Given a particular Relationships Graph and scenario, define a result.
- Given a scenario, define the appropriate relationship to achieve a desired result.
- Use ESS to integrate data from an external data source and properly design a schema.
- Describe the implications of linking a layout to a specific table occurrence.
- Identify how a portal can display data from more than one relationship away, and some of the various behaviors that can be assigned to a portal.
- Describe which field/layout object behaviors can be modified.
- Describe the types and attributes of script triggers.
- Given a scenario, identify the implications of choosing a particular trigger type.
- Describe how to use the chart object.
- Identify the implications of selecting or using themes.
- Identify the properties, use, and capabilities of themes, object styles, and states.
- Describe the setup and behavior of layout parts.
Working with Calculations
- Identify proper expression syntax, logic, and order of operations.
- Describe the behavior and use of calculation functions.
- Describe the behavior and use of custom functions.
- Given a scenario, identify the use of core algorithm techniques.
- Identify the use of core scripting features of the FileMaker Platform.
- Describe how context (and context changes) can affect/effect script behaviors when retrieving or updating data in related or unrelated tables, and/or when navigating between tables or windows.
- Describe the considerations required when writing scripts for a multi-user environment.
Securing FileMaker Apps
- Describe how accounts, privilege sets and authentication interact.
- Describe how to control access and manage security in FileMaker apps through privilege sets.
- Describe how encryption and external file protection is used to protect FileMaker data.
- Describe how external file protection is used to protect FileMaker data.
Deploying Custom Apps via FileMaker Server
- Describe the key elements of FileMaker Server installation, deployment, configuration, administration, troubleshooting, and monitoring.
- Describe best practices for effective and secure back-ups.
- Describe the key elements of using server-side scripting.
- Describe the formats and methods to import data into FileMaker files.
- Describe the formats and methods to export data from FileMaker files.
- Describe the methods for exchanging data between FileMaker files and other data sources.
- Describe which live back-end data sources are supported, how to connect to them, and how to integrate them into a FileMaker app.
Publishing FileMaker Data on the Web
- Describe the available web publishing options for FileMaker Server, their configurations, location of components, and administrative options.
- Describe how to prepare a FileMaker app to be accessed from the Web.
Development Tools and Processes
- Describe a range of development techniques, from fundamental to advanced.
- Describe the implications of multiple windows.
- Describe the options and processes involved in file recovery.
- Describe the implications of and developer control over various user-facing features.
- Describe the options for deploying an app to FileMaker Go.
- Identify the unique implications of developing and deploying custom apps for FileMaker Go.
- Describe the functionality of unique features of FileMaker Go.
Register for the Exam
The exam consists of multiple-choice questions and is offered in English and Japanese.
If you have any additional questions regarding the certification process, check our Certification FAQ’s.
Test Development Process
The procedures followed to develop the FileMaker Developer exam substantially conforms to industry standards designed to provide the highest level of exam validity and reliability.