FileMaker and Excel
The perfect spreadsheet companion.
Make the most of your data
Microsoft Excel spreadsheets crunch numbers and build charts. FileMaker Pro databases are perfect for handling tasks and business processes such as customer information, inventory tracking, and change requests. Used together, FileMaker Pro and Excel give you what you need to get the most out of your data and make informed business decisions.
FileMaker Pro and Excel complement each other
You can drag and drop Excel spreadsheets to instantly import your data into FileMaker Pro*. You can also use the Excel Maker feature to save or email a spreadsheet from your FileMaker data.
Strengths of a spreadsheet
- Storing and analyzing data in lists
- Analyzing and modeling data
- Producing charts and graphs
- Building a financial model
- Creating basic reports
- Controlling who can open or modify a file
Strengths of a FileMaker database
- Viewing information in list, form, or table view
- Storing and managing virtually any type of information (words, images, numbers, files and more)
- Creating and publishing customized forms and reports
- Connecting related information such as inventory and sales
- Access by multiple people at the same time
Recurring Import from Excel
In FileMaker Pro 12 you can establish a Recurring Import from Excel. Set it up once, and every time you open your database, the data from your Excel spreadsheet will update automatically in FileMaker Pro. Imported data is read-only. Use this data to easily create sales reports, track workflow, and collaborate with others.
* FileMaker Pro 12 supports both .xls and .xlsx formats for Microsoft Excel.